No kidding! Late night funnyman Seth Meyers and his wife Alexi Ashe didn’t make it to the hospital Sunday after she went into labor. Instead, the baby was welcomed in the lobby of their apartment building.
Their son, Axel Strahl, was apparently in a big hurry. “We get into the lobby of our building, I have called an Uber, the Uber is outside and we basically get to the steps of our building, walking out the steps, and my wife says, ‘I can’t get in the car, I’m gonna have the baby right now,'” Meyers, 44, revealed on Monday’s night’s Late Night With Seth Meyers.
- To reign in the chaos and keep Ashe calm, Meyers, his mother-in-law Joanne and their midwife, huddled in a semi-circle around her.
- “She lay down in the lobby, we undressed her and the baby was just out, the head of the baby was out,” Meyers said. “This is how fast it happened. I called 9-1-1 and over the course of a minute conversation — I basically said, ‘We’re about to have a baby, we’re having a baby, we had a baby.’ I went from someone calling about an emergency to just sharing good news with a stranger.”
- As Ashe cradled Axel to her chest, the fire department and NYDP pulled up.
- “The amount of people that were in our lobby was insane,” described Meyers, who also shared a photo of the cops helping his wife.
- Neighbors even pitched in, bringing blankets and warm towels down from their apartments for Ashe and Axel. Meyers and Ashe welcomed older son Ashe Olsen in March of 2016.