It’s been 111 years since a subdivision of the Denver suburb of Cherry Hills was given the name of “Swastika Acres,” and now, finally, the name has been changed to “Old Cherry Hills,” thanks to an official act of the local council. The Swastika Acres subdivision was named in 1908 by the Denver Swastika Land Co., well before the Nazis co-opted the symbol and forever changed its meaning. At the time, the swastika remained a common sight across the Southwest, used by Native Americans for centuries.
… The name “Swastika Acres” doesn’t appear on any signs in Cherry Hills Village, and realtors haven’t flaunted the name to prospective buyers. But over a century after its creation, the name has remained on the deeds of a few dozen homes. After city council decided to make Swastika Acres a priority this year, resident Brady O’Donnell volunteered to do the grunt work needed to change the name: he collected signatures from plot owners, filed paperwork with the city and shelled out money for the application. He was overwhelmed by support.