One dish one two awards at the 13th Annual Big Tex Awards at the State Fair of Texas. The Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger was the big winner, earning trophies both for “Most Creative” and for “Best Taste Savory.” Winning for “Best Taste Sweet” was the Gulf Coast Fish Bowl, a cocktail with blue punch.
… The state fair is in Dallas and begins September 29. The full list of finalists:
- Deep Fried Chicken Noodle Soup on a Stick. Homestyle chicken noodle soup deep fried and served on a stick.
- Deep Fried Froot Loops. Sweetened Froot Loops folded into marshmallow, dipped in batter, and fried.
- Fat Smooth. Three mini cream puffs on a skewer.
- Fernie’s Fried Texas Sheet Cake. Chocolate brownie cake coated in panko and ground cocoa puffs and fried.
- Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger. Burger with bacon and queso on two funnel cake “buns.”
- Gulf Coast Fish Bowl. A cocktail with blue alcoholic punch served in a round plastic cup that’s meant to look like an aquarium.
- Pinot Noir Popcorn. Cheddar-cheese flavored kettle corn dusted with a Pinot Noir burgundy wine powder.
- Surfin’ Turfin’ Tator Boat. Baked potato stuffed with lobster and steak.
- Texas Fajita Fries. Meat “fries” made of breaded beef fajita strips, seasoned with Sriracha and served in a bread cone.
- The Tamale Donut. Pork tamale served in a doughnut shape.