Pickleball is the fastest growing sport for adults 55 and older. It’s so popular in one New Jersey town that neighbors say they can’t catch a break from noisy courts. Members of Ridgewood’s pickleball league had their courts locked on December 31 while the village comes up with a plan to mitigate the sound of the bouncing balls. Adjacent neighbors have complained about the noise. Sound barriers were installed last winter and players are now required to use noise reducing balls. Mayor Susan Knudsen said the village is trying to find a balance. There will be a village council meeting tonight (Wednesday) to hear from both sides.
- A fun sport that combines many elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong.
- Played both indoors or outdoors on a badminton-sized court and a slightly modified tennis net.
- Played with a paddle and a plastic ball with holes.
- Played as doubles or singles.
- Can be enjoyed by all ages and skill levels