Engineers in Florida are trying to figure out what caused a sinkhole to reopen. It swallowed a man as he slept in 2013. His body was never found.
A sinkhole in Florida that fatally swallowed a man two years ago has now reopened, police said Wednesday morning. The current sinkhole in Seffner is 17 feet wide and 20 feet deep. Hillsborough County Fire Rescue spokesman Ronnie Rivera told the Daily News,“We’re not expecting it to get bigger,” In February 2013, a sinkhole in the exact same spot swallowed Jeff Bush, 37, after it opened beneath his bedroom , however, his body was never found. The home was eventually demolished and the hole filled with gravel, but emergency responders believe this summer’s exceptionally rainy weather wore the gravel down. So far, no injuries from the hole have been reported.
Hillsborough County Fire Rescue, county engineers, and code enforcement were on site Monday afternoon, assessing the property to determine the extent of the reopening. Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is monitoring the site overnight to prevent residents from accessing it. The site is closed to the public and secured with two layers of fencing.