SCORE Savannah will be hosting an Entrepreneurship Competition this Summer and invites any Savannah entrepreneurs that meet the following requirements to participate!
Proposed businesses must be new start-ups or, if you have an existing business, you must have obtained your Savannah/Chatham County business license after March 1, 2018. Winners must locate and operate their business within Chatham County and launch by Jan. 1, 2021. Applicants must be at least 18 years old.
SCORE is the largest provider of free business mentoring and business education programs in the nation. Over the last two years, Savannah SCORE, rated in the top 10% of SCORE's 320 chapters nationwide, has helped establish 299 new businesses and create nearly 500 new non-owner jobs in the Savannah area. On September 7 at 4:00 PM, Savannah SCORE is presenting the "BizPitch Savannah™" entrepreneurial competition at the Bull Street Labs at 2222 Bull Street, Savannah, GA. Applications to win $10,000 in cash and prizes to help launch new businesses are available at http://bizpitchsavannah.com.
All applicants must apply by midnight on July 29, 2019. Only eight finalists will have the opportunity to pitch their business ideas to the following panel of judges on September 6, 2019from 4:00PM to 6:30PM at the Coastal Georgia Center at 305 Fahm Street, Savannah, GA (free and open to the public):
- Jen Bonnett, VP of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, Savannah Economic Development Authority, and Executive Director, The Creative Coast
- Carl Biathrow, Business Development Coordinator, City of Savannah Office of Business Opportunity
- Miriam Rittmeyer, MD, Ph.D., MPH, CEO, MUNNA and President, Phalarope.org
- Dean Burnette, Managing Business Broker, Best Business Brokers
- Lisa Narcisse, Market Leader IV and Vice President, BB&T
The following are requirements for all applicants:
- All applicants must be at least 18 years of age
- Proposed businesses must be either a new start-up or have obtained its Savannah-Chatham County Business License after March 1, 2018.
- Completed applications and application fee of $25 must be electronically submitted by no later than midnight, Monday, July 29, 2019.
- Applications more than 900 words in length and applications received after the July 29 deadline will be automatically disqualified.
- Applications will be reviewed by a committee of experienced SCORE Mentors and business experts. A group of eight finalists will be selected from the pool of applicants and their names publicly announced by no later than 5:00 PM Monday, August 12.
- Finalists will have four weeks to prepare their Business Pitch. During this time, SCORE Business Mentors and a Presentation Coach will be provided at no charge to the finalists to help them prepare.
- Finalists will attend a “How To Make An Effective Business Pitch” workshop on Monday, August 19 at the Savannah SCORE office at 111 E. Liberty Street, Savannah, GA.
- Finalists will deliver a “Practice Pitch” to a panel of successful businesspeople on Wednesday, August 28 at the Coastal Georgia Center at 305 Fahm Street, Savannah, GA. .
- The event will take place on Friday, September 6 at 4:00 PM at The Coastal Georgia Center.
- Each finalist will have four minutes to make their pitch to “BizPitch Savannah’s” panel of five judges. After each pitch, the judges will have an additional four minutes to ask questions and make comments to the contestant. Finalists are encouraged to use PowerPoint slides or other visual aids in their presentation.
- The judges will rate the business pitches based on the following criteria:
- Business viability and originality of the idea
- Quality and effectiveness of the pitch
- Professionalism of the business proposal
- Other considerations
- Three winners will be selected by the judges. The decisions of the judges are FINAL.
- Each of the three winners will receive a Prize comprised of cash and a package of professional business-related services worth as much as $10,000. (The final list and value of these services will be announced prior to the event.)
- Winners must locate and operate their business within Savannah-Chatham County and must launch their business by no later than January 1, 2021.